Prof. Dr. Hieab Adams
I have a medical background with thorough experience in multidisciplinary research. In parallel to medical school I took part in two full-time research master programs, one in cell biology and one in clinical epidemiology. For three years I performed experimental research at the department of Cell Biology. Here I determined interaction networks of transcription factors for mental disorders in neural stem cells. On the other hand, I performed observational research at the department of Epidemiology focusing on population genetics and neuroimaging of age-related neurodegenerative diseases. My research was focused on the etiology of such diseases. Here I developed novel statistical methods and neuroimaging protocols, performed image processing, and genome/exome/epigenetic/transcriptome-wide association studies. Furthermore, this research had a very collaborative and international character.
I am the PI of the Precision Epidemiology group, where we characterize large populations in depth using cutting edge imaging and omics technologies. The diverse background of the group members – spanning fundamental research, epidemiology, bioinformatics, and clinical medicine – enables this envisioned multidisciplinary research line. So far I have over 100 publications, with over 80% in the top 25% journals of their respective fields. I have initiated and led multiple global consortia, including the JPND-funded HD-READY and Full-HD consortia, the UNIVRSE consortium, and more recently the UNITED consortium, which is the largest neuroimaging consortium worldwide focusing on neurodegeneration.
- Full Professor, Latin American Brain Health (BrainLat), Universidad Adolfo Ibáñez, Santiago, Chile
- Associate Professor, departments of Clinical Genetics and Radiology, Erasmus MC, Rotterdam, the Netherlands
- Resident, n.i.t., Department of Clinical Genetics, Erasmus MC, Rotterdam, the Netherlands
- Senior Editor, Alzheimer’s and Dementia: the journal of the Alzheimer’s Association
- Vilor-Tejedor, N., Evans, T. E., Adams, H. H., González-de-Echávarri, J. M., Molinuevo, J. L., Guigo, R., Gispert, J. D., & Operto, G. (2021). Genetic Influences on Hippocampal Subfields: An Emerging Area of Neuroscience Research. Neurology. Genetics, 7(3), e591. https://doi.org/10.1212/NXG.0000000000000591
- Li, S., Weinstein, G., Zare, H., Teumer, A., Völker, U., Friedrich, N., Knol, M. J., Satizabal, C. L., Petyuk, V. A., Adams, H., Launer, L. J., Bennett, D. A., De Jager, P. L., Grabe, H. J., Ikram, M. A., Gudnason, V., Yang, Q., & Seshadri, S. (2020). The genetics of circulating BDNF: towards understanding the role of BDNF in brain structure and function in middle and old ages. Brain communications, 2(2), fcaa176. https://doi.org/10.1093/braincomms/fcaa176
- Sargurupremraj, M., Suzuki, H., Jian, X., Sarnowski, C., Evans, T. E., Bis, J. C., Eiriksdottir, G., Sakaue, S., Terzikhan, N., Habes, M., Zhao, W., Armstrong, N. J., Hofer, E., Yanek, L. R., Hagenaars, S. P., Kumar, R. B., van den Akker, E. B., McWhirter, R. E., Trompet, S., Mishra, A., Adams, H. H., … Debette, S. (2020). Cerebral small vessel disease genomics and its implications across the lifespan. Nature communications, 11(1), 6285. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41467-020-19111-2
- Hofer, E., Roshchupkin, G. V., Adams, H., Knol, M. J., Lin, H., Li, S., Zare, H., Ahmad, S., Armstrong, N. J., Satizabal, C. L., Bernard, M., Bis, J. C., Gillespie, N. A., Luciano, M., Mishra, A., Scholz, M., Teumer, A., Xia, R., Jian, X., Mosley, T. H., … Seshadri, S. (2020). Genetic correlations and genome-wide associations of cortical structure in general population samples of 22,824 adults. Nature communications, 11(1), 4796. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41467-020-18367-y
- Knol, M. J., Lu, D., Traylor, M., Adams, H., Romero, J., Smith, A. V., Fornage, M., Hofer, E., Liu, J., Hostettler, I. C., Luciano, M., Trompet, S., Giese, A. K., Hilal, S., van den Akker, E. B., Vojinovic, D., Li, S., Sigurdsson, S., van der Lee, S. J., Jack, C. R., Jr, … Alzheimer’s Disease Neuroimaging Initiative (2020). Association of common genetic variants with brain microbleeds: A genome-wide association study. Neurology, 95(24), e3331–e3343. https://doi.org/10.1212/WNL.0000000000010852
Click here for all his publications.